Computer network is:
- A collection of computers and other hardware devices that are connected together to share hardware, software, and data as well as to communicate with one another.
A basic network connects 2 computer together by a cable to exchange data and information while a LAN, allows the sharing of data and devices such as modems and printer.
–Types of LAN based on geographic coverage.
•LAN – Local Area Network
•WAN - Wide Area Network
•MAN - Metropolitan Area Network
computer network can be categorized according to three properties:
Network topology is the layout pattern of interconnections of the various elements (links, notes) of a computer network. It is the geometrical arrangement of the network. The picture below show the different arrangement of the network.
A network protocol defines rules and conventions for communication between network devices.
A network architecture is the specification of design principles (including data formats and procedures) for creating a network configuration of data processors. Two most common network are peer- to- peer and server/client network
There are two types of transmission media; bounded and unbounded.
• Bounded Media • Unbounded Media (air or a vacuum)
- Twisted pair wire - AM and FM radio
- Co-axial cable - TV broadcasting
- Fiber optic cables - Satellite communication
- Microwave radio
- Infrared signals
- Below are some examples of network electronic device and
- A network bridge connects multiple network segments.A bridge uses a forwarding database to send frames across network segments.
- A router is a device that forwards data packets between computer networks, creating an overlay internetwork. A router is connected to two or more data lines from different networks.
- hub is a device for connecting multiple Ethernet devices together and making them act as a single network segment.
- gateway is used to interfaced with other network.A gateway is a network point that acts as an entrance to another network.
As usual, please enjoy the video regarding computer networking: